F1 Visa

You will need the following documents for getting F-1 Visa.

Mandatory Documents:

  • Current Passport and as well as Old Passports.
  • One Photograph
  • Confirmation page of Form DS-160 submitted online with CEAC barcode.
  • Visa Fee (To be paid in advance, prior to taking the appointment).
  • Original and a copy of the Interview appointment letter
  • Both pages of the bar-coded, SEVIS generated original Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant F-1 Status) obtained from a US College/University and signed both you and the school official. Students, as well as their spouse and their children (Those applying for the USA Visa) must be registered in the SEVIS. The school is responsible for entering your information for Form I-20 into SEVIS upon your notification.
  • Also requires a copy of the Form I-20. Make sure that you carry the original I-20 whenever you travel. It needs to be shown to the immigration officer at the port of entry to be admitted to the USA. Nothing will be stamped on Form I-20 when you get your Visa. However, when you enter the USA, the immigration officer at the port of entry will stamp your I-20 in the allocated space.
  • Original proof of payment of SEVIS fee receipt I-901 and one copy.

  • about-image

    Supporting Documents:

    1. Photocopies of the first page, last page, and remarks page of your current passport.

    2. Evidence of Financial Resources:

    Proof of liquid assets sufficient to pay the entire first year of education. Proof of readily available funds to cover the living expenses for the remaining year(s) of study. Any financial documentation provided should be in support of this. This applies to ALL student visa applicants.

    To establish your financial resources, you should bring to the Consulate:

  • Original tax returns for the past 3 years (specifically Form 16).
  • Original bank records (bank statements or pass book or bank book) for the past 3 years, and/or fixed deposit statement of your parent or sponsor. (Although anyone may sponsor your education, the Consular Officer will be more convinced if your parent or close family member finances your studies).
  • Payslips, employment letters.
  • Chartered accountant statements.
  • If you receive a scholarship, it is noted on the I-20 and favourably considered by the Officer.

    The U.S. Consulate discourages applicants from bringing property deeds or certified copies of financial documents. Only bring financial documents that can support your (or your sponsor's claim) that your studies in the U.S.A will be fully funded.

    There are no specific documents that prove a student is able to pay for his/her education. These are only suggested documents. A visa is not assured if you have any or all of these documents.

    Proof of ability to afford school in the United States:

    TPart 7 on the I-20 shows a tentative number of finances required to cover the first year's expenses. This includes tuition, living expenses, expenses of dependents (if applicable), and other expenses (as applicable). The documents you produce must prove that you have liquid funds necessary to cover these.

    Notarized Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) - if you are financially supported by an individual in the U.S.A, along with three years of that individual's bank statements and tax returns.

    If you have taken a loan from a bank to cover your tuition, please bring official documents, which verify the loan approval, not just the application. As Indian banks ordinarily give educational loans of relatively modest amounts, the applicant must still demonstrate additional liquid assets.

    Paying the tuition expenses in advance is a good way to show proof of funds, but it is NOT a requirement to pay in advance.

    3. Education Documents:

  • Original degree certificates along with mark sheets
  • Original Bachelor degree transcripts or high school diploma along with mark sheets from previous institutions attended.
  • Relevant test scores, e.g., TOEFL and SAT, GRE, GMAT or LSAT.